Tuesday, December 8, 2009


This is an ongoing series that I have been working on using silverpoint.  They are close up views of Peony flowers that grow every year in my garden.  I photographed the flowers with my digital camera, cropped the images in Photoshop and printed them out to use as reference photos.  I like to photograph in bright sunlight in order to get high contrast images-bright whites and dark shadows.  Silverpoint drawing has a limited range of values that can be achieved so a careful rendering of the image is required or everything will be gray.  I make sure to save the white areas so my value scale will be more dramatic.  And, silverpoint drawings do not reproduce well, the subtle nuances can only be seen on the originals,  jpeg's do not do the art justice.


No comments:

Post a Comment